Reply to "How can members help Narrative grow rapidly after launch"

Method: Kicking the Facebook habit

Category: broad on-boarding strategies

I don't think it will be difficult for Facebook users to become curious about Narrative - there's a lot to be curious about, perhaps most prominently:

- owning your content

- getting paid for your content

These are very simple notions that can be communicated quickly and effectively.  

It is once that curiosity is there that the obstacles come up.  To name the biggest I can think of:

- inertia ("all my stuff is on Facebook, and all my friends are")

- I don't understand cryptocurrency, and it scares me

Inertia

The best way to overcome big inertia of this kind is with baby steps.

The idea isn't to kick the Facebook habit cold turkey - that's not realistic.

What is realistic is to use both Narrative and Facebook in parallel for a while, until the new isn't scary anymore, and the old just feels old.

Some practical first steps with Narrative could be:

'flipping the script': starting something new on Narrative, that the user has not been doing on Facebook, and using their Facebook account to broadcast it.  It is harder to move an existing activity from one platform to another, than to take up a new activity somewhere new.  I like this one, because it lines up nicely with the possibility of financial support.  The segment of people who are contemplating new careers, new hobbies, or any kind of change in their lives could use their Narrative journals as incubators for this transformation, and receive support from their crowd via upvotes and tips.  This can start by simply following and encouraging their journey, but could culminate in helping to fund real world objectives and even start collaborations.  Facebook can be extremely useful in broadcasting this content to one's existing network until one bright day, that just isn't necessary anymore

interface with a brand in modern ways: I don't have the silver bullet for this, but if we can come up with something novel about how users interact with brands on Narrative, this could be a big draw for both brands and users alike.  Right now, I'm thinking about feedback and product suggestion tools so that users can suggest and vote on how a brand might not be doing the most it can for its customers, and how it can improve.  To elevate itself above simple complaints or unengaging feedback, Narrators could be encouraged in some way to use direct demonstration of shortcomings or improvements, via video, illustration, images, etc...  Perhaps there could be a network wide award every week for the most engaging/funny/creative or simply ingenious feedback videos, with reputation bonus and NRVE awarded to the winner?

Narrative can also become fertile ground for brands to identify and link up with real people who embody the brand's spirit, or ethics.  Brand channel tools could be tailored to facilitating brand outreach to identify such individuals, through a premium tier of search functions and/or contests that Narrators generate content for.

If these ways of interfacing with brands don't exist elsewhere or are not democratised yet elsewhere, then folks will naturally turn to Narrative rather than Facebook for this sort of interaction between brands and customers.

And once they generate this content for Narrative, folks can naturally share it on other networks, giving further exposure to Narrative.  The platform could pick the most engaging content and promote it itself, beyond the network, for purposes of getting folks further afield to associate the network with a certain streak of genius content. 

I don't understand cryptocurrency, and it scares me

I suspect that as it is so often the case, this obstacle is an opportunity in disguise.

The whole crypto world is facing this hurdle: how to trigger the next wave of adoption and get that much closer to crypto being mainstream?

Instead of considering this an obstacle for Narrative adoption, lets consider it our chance to be part of the solution for the entire cryptosphere.

It is the crypto that is scary in cryptocurrency.  Without the crypto, cryptocurrency just becomes currency.  So one approach to consider is to get in the habit of simply calling NRVE The Content Currency.  Or some such.  

Nothing scary about that, and it directly communicates core aspects of why Narrative exists.  Tokens, to a lesser degree, are part of the scary world of cryptocurrency.  Not only does the word invoke questions of whether there is real value there or not: it also inherently gives rise to limiting thinking.  A token is generally something devised for use within a micro-economy, like a golf course, or an amusement park.  If we want Narrative to grow to become a dominant force, I think we have to adapt our words to reflect that reality so it can come to pass.  So currency is better than cryptocurrency or token, and if we have to be specific about a novel aspect of the currency, then The Content Currency gives that specificity.

Our goal should be to be the gateway for cryptocurrency to become mainstream.  I don't think there is any secret to this beyond Narrative itself becoming successful, and being careful to speak about its currency in ways that are familiar and unclouded.

That's all I've got for now.