Reply to "Niche quality control"

Erik Blair posted:

I think this is related to "niche quality control". If it's important to have niche quality, depth and value, why is it not important to have that same uniqueness for Publications. It appears, at least to this neophyte, that Publications will compete with Niches for traffic. 

Example, if I have a niche called, "fried chicken" then my channel will be: narrative.org/n/fried-chicken

If I buy a publication for $99, and call it, "fried chicken", then the publication owner can have more control of the content and channel. That Publication channel will be:  narrative.org/p/fried-chicken

Whereas the Niche owner has a long, arduous startup process, difficulty finding moderators and content creators, it seems the Publication owner has a $99 fee and a 72-hour wait. If true, then anyone could hijack a niche by just buying a Publication. 

I'm probably way wrong on this... but sure seems problematic to me. 

Enlighten me 

From what I understand about publications @Erik Blair is they are two different beasts all together. Niches partake in the rewards pool, Publications do not.

So yes Niches have their uphill battles, but so does Publications. Publications based on their own economic system within Narrative will have to maintain the strictest forms of quality if they want to survive, let alone thrive. The only money Publications make, is 90% of the membership fees people agree to pay the publication, because they want access to that content. Any content that a publication offers in front of a paywall, to lure membership is offered without access to the monthly reward pool.

So to answer your question specifically about redundancy, overlap within the publication arena, will be resolved by good old fashion free-market choice. Topic overlap from Niche to Publications, are not really competing, but if you wanted to still argue that they are, I would say the slant is more advantageous towards the niche owners, because so many people have become accustomed to not paying for content these days. Publications can be argued that it is reintroducing the age old standard of you get what you pay for.

I kind of like that Narrative is putting one foot in both types of content economies. It's hedge the bets, this way.