Reply to "Redundant/invalid niches - report them here"

Michael posted:

I'm not sure what the difference between "Shopping" and "Shopping Haul" would be.

Shopping: https://alpha.narrative.org/niche/shopping

Shopping Haul: https://alpha.narrative.org/ballot/10041739938077770

Hard to say, but if niches are very similar like this, their owners might end up fighting later on as to who has the valid space, it also might end up confusing members as to which niche to post in.

Technically, they're different, but really they're not. My thought is, why have a niche for both fishing, and fishing haul? Is one JUST dedicated to everything about fishing, while the other is dedicated to JUST showing pictures of what a person caught while fishing?

Does the owner of Shopping Haul promise not to post anything later on about Shopping. hahaha

It really depends on the precision of language, and if Niche owners intend to stick to that narrow niche, or if they'll eventually 'niche creep' into other areas.

Good questions!

Niche creep may well be a thing, and it is difficult to predict how many resources will need to be devoted to keeping it in check.

Before reading the full length of your post, I was of a mind that the niches are both valid and can coexist, because I saw the distinction that you mention: that Shopping seems to be all about shopping, and Shopping Haul seems to be specifically about sharing what got bought on the last shopping trip.  (Neither are very interesting to me so I have to make an effort to project myself into this space to begin with).

Once I read your post to the end, I still felt, and feel the niches are sufficiently different, given that distinction evidenced in the descriptions.  But I am concerned about niche creep.  No doubt this will be an on-going discussion after launch, and we may need to adjust policy if it becomes a significant problem.  For now though, my recommendation would be for the @Narrative Network Team to try to message clearly that niches must abide by their descriptions, so the moderators understand that a great article on how to determine what drone to buy, for instance, should not be accepted for publication on the Shopping Haul niche.

I see a different problem with the Shopping niche though.

The description says it is all about ONLINE shopping, but the niche name is more general.  Online shopping may one day be the only form of shopping (scary thought), but that day has not come yet and until it does, that niche should be considered unclear, and invalid.

I'll post about it separately so it can be addressed as a separate issue.

- EDIT

Ok - I see now the Shopping niche was approved already.  I've put in an appeal to the Tribunal.