All Narrative messaging needs to be clear and explicit

Service: Narrative

I've previously suggested that notifications for contributors to a newly rejected niche should be reworded because casual site users are interpreting it as their POSTS being rejected, not that their posts were fine, but will no longer appear in the now-defunct niche. Between the rejection of BLOG and the rejection of Writing, this was not improved.

Now, I am (understandably, I'm sure) angry that I missed out on rewards for my extensive contributions to the support community because I didn't have a Telegram name. I was expected to realize there was more to the sidebar graphic that touted "NRVE rewards for active participants" than meets the eye. Caveats were hidden behind "Learn more." But the graphic seemed self-explanatory. You needed my NEO address to pay out rewards, so I added it to my profile. I was never informed that I needed to have a Telegram account to truly be considered an active participant. I never would have expected that I needed to click on "Learn more" - honestly, I don't even think I noticed those words were there; it was just a sidebar graphic - to find out there was yet another hurdle involving an OFF-SITE SOCIAL ACCOUNT that made me miss out on what I had rightfully earned. And I'm told that there will be no retroactive payout. Hell, I don't even know if I saw the sidebar graphic in the first place; I use AdBlock.

In what world do you not EXPLICITLY tell your membership that creating an OFF-SITE SOCIAL ACCOUNT requiring the download of YET ANOTHER APP is NECESSARY to receiving the earnings you're due based on participation ON NARRATIVE?

I'm angry. This is also the five year anniversary of my father's death, so I'm a bit more emotional than usual. But this is freaking nonsense. 

At the very least, the "Update Profile" page shouldn't say that the Telegram field is optional. It should state, like the NEO address field does, that it is also REQUIRED "to receive NRVE rewards." It doesn't. Me missing the payout isn't on me. It's on poor design and insufficient communication with the community.

This will not be the last problem we have due to poor communication and messaging between Narrative and its membership. It will continue to be a problem until a staff member is DEDICATED to communication and making sure that messaging is being understood and reaching everyone it should. Communication with your membership is an important part of platform development, NOT just something that gets done when one of you has spare time.

Original Post

Activity Stream

Christina,

Yes, we could do better at our communication. We can always do better. We can agree on that.

Regarding the Community Rewards, we’ve had a content block on the top of the right side of all of these community pages since November 2018. Almost 200 people clicked it, read the rules, and participated. We did promoted it more early on - but along the way, other programs like Referral Rewards were also out. We are sorry that you missed out on this opportunity. But Referral Rewards and of course the Narrative Rewards are all coming very soon.

You mentioned the email that goes out to members when a Niche is rejected again. Have you seen or read the actual email that goes out? I mention this because the email says almost word for word exactly what you suggest it should say. The complaint on this issue in prior posts was a headscratcher. Please be mindful that sometimes people react to something because they read something into it - not necessarily what is in the actual email. We get that - Narrative is new. Also, we do recognize that English isn’t the first language for some people so we keep the messages as simple and clean as we can.

So, maybe meet us half way. Maybe, before you create a post like this please put it aside, take a moment and ask, do I need to approach it this way?

@David Dreezer I did receive a copy of the email when the Writing niche was rejected. While I understood it easily enough, many other people did not. I wouldn't have brought it up if there weren't very confused (and upset) people making posts wondering why their posts were rejected, or commenting on other people's posts with the same concern. I cannot recall who the members were, and the search function isn't helping at all to locate any of the posts as examples. I deleted my own email about the Writing niche, so I can't refer to it to say precisely what wasn't clear enough. I think it would as simple as adding one sentence like, "Click here to edit your post and add a replacement niche if you wish."

As for the other bit about the community rewards, I was not the only active member of the support community to miss the memo about needing a Telegram name on your profile. He mentioned "ad blindness" in his reply on the Community Rewards 2 post, and I do believe that was a factor.

Was my tone harsh when I posted this thread? Yes. Out of frustration.

You (Narrative staff collectively) have told us that you don't have time to read everything that gets posted on the platform, so you don't see how many people are so freaking confused about how anything on here works. One of my posts was the first time some members (who took the time to comment) understood that it was possible to publish a post with only 1 or 2 niches tagged; they'd thought they NEEDED to tag 3. Another post of mine found other members who didn't realize that they weren't hurting anyone by downvoting for disagreement. There are a lot of examples of, "I didn't know that" on Narrative Community posts, because it has never been communicated clearly to them before.

We live in a world where we need warning labels to tell people that coffee is really hot and not to drink drain cleaner. What seems perfectly clear to those of us who are familiar with the platform is a complete mystery to others. There is a STEEP learning curve when you join Narrative, so it can be easy not to read something very carefully and jump to a wrong conclusion. Even drain cleaner makes sure to say things in different ways to drive the point home. "Not for internal use. DO NOT DRINK. In case of accidental ingestion, do not induce vomiting..."

I'm not going to get into the thing about the community rewards banner, because the graphic itself should have read "Make sure to update your profile with your Telegram name and NEO address!" Because Telegram was NOT an intuitive requirement.

I'm an autistic woman who edits website content for UX for a living. That means: a) I don't process information the same way everyone else does, and b) I've fixed a lot of client content over the last 10 years, so I'm trying to help. Pro-bono, as it were.

I tend to be rather wordy, myself, which gets even more complicated when I'm stressed about a problem, ironically making me less clear than I'd like to be.

But when any of us takes the time to bring an issue to the support community, and it's not just a two-sentence deal, we know we're not getting paid for it now, which means we've already talked the issue to death on the platform via posts and comments or by off-site communication between members.

So my frustration with the quality of communication from the user perspective is also the collective frustration of other members, some who have been around longer than I have, and some who just joined recently. 

This was more of a ramble than it should have been, because I had to deal with (OMG, the timing) a client who failed to communicate project specs with me and is now paying for over 150 pages of content they didn't want because of their error and my team having already done the work as it had been (improperly) outlined. And I had a panic attack over that just a few hours ago, so... I brought all of that with me in this reply. Make of it what you will.

I knew I'd read an official announcement about Community Rewards and it didn't mention Telegram at all!

THIS is what I read. If it's not in the announcement, why would I look elsewhere for additional requirements? It was a freaking announcement that ALERTS me to make sure my NEO address is in place to add or update it. Which I did.

Posted by @Michael Farris:

100,000 NRVE are ready for distribution to active members of community.narrative.org

The first half of the reward pool was distributed at the end of the token sale a year ago.  Now with the launch of the Narrative beta on April 2nd, we are ready to send 100,000 more NRVE to the most active supporters of  community.narrative.org.

If you have been active here in Community, you have a share. You can check out the rules here.

Alert!  Be sure there is a NEO address in your profile AND that you have the private keys in hand. You have until Friday, May 17th, Noon GMT to add or update your NEO address.

Update your profile here.  

Need a NEO address?  See How  Do I get a Wallet?

Remember: never give away or lose your private keys!

Christina Gleason posted:

I knew I'd read an official announcement about Community Rewards and it didn't mention Telegram at all!

THIS is what I read. If it's not in the announcement, why would I look elsewhere for additional requirements? It was a freaking announcement that ALERTS me to make sure my NEO address is in place to add or update it. Which I did.

Posted by @Michael Farris:

100,000 NRVE are ready for distribution to active members of community.narrative.org

The first half of the reward pool was distributed at the end of the token sale a year ago.  Now with the launch of the Narrative beta on April 2nd, we are ready to send 100,000 more NRVE to the most active supporters of  community.narrative.org.

If you have been active here in Community, you have a share. You can check out the rules here.

Alert!  Be sure there is a NEO address in your profile AND that you have the private keys in hand. You have until Friday, May 17th, Noon GMT to add or update your NEO address.

Update your profile here.  

Need a NEO address?  See How  Do I get a Wallet?

Remember: never give away or lose your private keys!

It was pointed out that some accounts still didn't have neo addresses in their profile - IE- the profiles were checked for neo addy's ahead of the payout. That telegram addresses were also missing could have been mentioned too. To just mention missing Neo addy's and not the missing telegram ones, seems remiss.

I have genuine sympathy for Christina and others who did not check the rules that required Telegram activity to qualify. #2 for those who TLDR.

Like many, I don't read the EULA when I join things or click the "Read More"  on pages. As a result, I miss out on things. But I kick myself when that happens, not someone else. I don't ask for rules to be changed because I assumed something else.

I'll be closing comments now after this reply. If someone wants a separate private conversation, that's possible elsewhere.

To be clear: 

1) The Community Rewards promotion is over and the 100K NRVE have been fully distributed

2) The rules are not changing after the fact.

Issue Resolved

This action was taken by Michael Farris.
To follow up on this issue, please click here.