Block feature in comments

Service: Narrative

Block feature in comments

Service: Narrative

Hi, I hope I'm not repeating something already suggested, but I couldn't find anything in the archive, so here goes; there's a need for posters to be able to block comments in their own posts, rather than just downvoting.   It's too hard to monitor every post for new comments, and there will always be some  who chronically post undermining comments. It's not about out and out trolling per se (not that blocking wouldn't help with this, in my opinion). It's to help posters stop "graffitti artists" and those who don't get the difference between criticism and condemning. 

TY

Original Post
Votes (2)
Colleen RyerMalkazoid

Activity Stream

Yes - the need for this is being felt!

I hope measures like this, and moderation tools/elections, can be fast-tracked.

Although we can't have moderator elections until we have solved the current troll problem, and hardened our game theory to ward against it.  The troll accounts have nominated themselves to moderate a large amount of niches.

Their influence on the platform is already damaging the otherwise good Beta launch, but if trolls get elected as moderators, we'd see a whole new level of disruption to the platform: one that would have observers declaring the experiment a failure.

This is just an idea, and not even necessarily a good one - just an option to consider...  If the team decides it needs some time to harden the platform, it could temporarily only accept new accounts that certify.  They could use a cheaper certification service, or subsidise the current one so that certification is much cheaper...

Not an awesome solution for a number of reasons, but it would allow the Beta to progress without distractions once the current troll accounts are banned.  Ethereum included, not just his sock puppets, if the team is satisfied he's the source of them.  All evidence points at him, but the team would possibly have more data than we do.

Ideally we would have waited until moderation tools were in place, to launch Beta... but now that we're here, any option that allows the Beta to move ahead without sabotage, should be considered.

Hi @Malkazoid Trying to get all the ducks in a row is hard when some of the ducks are trolls - I wish it was funny, but trying to figure out how to keep trouble makers from messing up everyone's program is difficult. I think for certification to work as a "right now" tool, it would have to be free. Whether there's an effective way to do this or not - I wish I knew. But maybe someone knows of a way and will offer it up.

Realistically - free certification probably isn't going to happen.

Even if certification isn't made mandatory temporarily, lowering the cost of it even a little, would increase amount of certified people, allowing their reputations to further crowd out the troll influences.

But I think what we need now, most urgently, is:

1) rep and account age rules to be put into place to prevent brand new accounts from nominating themselves for moderation and niche appeals

2) for the troll accounts to be banned

3) for moderation tools to allow the community to deal swiftly with these problems...

Just to be clear, if we as a company were to ban someone it would violate one of the most basic tenets that Narrative was founded upon. Decentralization.  I think it safe to say that we are far away from ever coming to the point where that will happen.

Better though is to just use the tool that is there. Downvote.

And then move on.

Stop engaging. Stop giving them time, giving long well thought replies, or even short terse responses.  All good intentions. But any response is engagement which feeds the Troll's ego and in some cases has fed the Troll's the rep too.  Just downvote and let the posts or comments submerge naturally as the system was intended.  A problem that we are seeing is that people keep engaging with the Troll, which is giving the absolute inverse reaction that is hoped for.

Nice thing is this is Beta, where problems occur and solutions are found.  I keep saying that the development of Narrative continues to be potential materiel for more than one Doctoral Thesis on human behaviour. It's fascinating.

Yes, my engagement is minimal. I've been baited several times. I don't bite. But I don't like seeing the trolls making a mockery of the platform. Still, your point is well-taken. I like the doctoral thesis comment. Ha ha. Yeah. I've thought that quite often. :-)

Hi @David Dreezer As per blocking, would still like to have this.

Psychoanalysis aside, in the real world, people get banned - be it booted out of school, fired from a job, dumped in a relationship, etc., due to chronic refusal to respect the rules. I don't think a perfect idealized state of decentralization could work - even if it existed. There is a limit - questions are, "Where is the line?" and "Who draws it?"

@Colleen Ryer. Circling back to your original suggestion - we are discussing something similar internally now.  Thanks for bringing it up and we will circle back when we have more information. 

Colleen Ryer posted:

Hi @David Dreezer As per blocking, would still like to have this.

Psychoanalysis aside, in the real world, people get banned - be it booted out of school, fired from a job, dumped in a relationship, etc., due to chronic refusal to respect the rules. I don't think a perfect idealized state of decentralization could work - even if it existed. There is a limit - questions are, "Where is the line?" and "Who draws it?"

I agree - and I hope the Team has a little bit of time to discuss this internally, despite all the other things vying for their attention.

NEO, the very network our project is built upon, isn't decentralised yet.  They have the intention to become increasingly decentralised, but they decided that in their earlier phases, elements of centralisation would be necessary, in part to protect the network.

To emphasise your point @Colleen Ryer, I don't know of a single aspect of human society that can function without having recourse to excluding destructive elements.  If we plan to build a utopia that ignores what we know about humanity here, we'll fail.

Law and order are necessary for prosperity.  The Content Economy can't thrive if it remains a lawless frontier.  People were excited about the gold rush in California in the 1800s, and some people moved out there at great risk because of the lure of great rewards.  Little did they know that California would become the world's 5th largest economy, but only because the old lawless days of the wild west were replaced with stability that allowed for a broader society to develop and prosper.

I can only speak for myself: what I admire in Narrative's team is a vision that respects the ideals of decentralisation - within reason.  Absolutist versions of this idealism that fly in the face of the basic viability of the network are of huge concern to me, and should be to anyone else committing time and energy to Narrative.

If we can't muster the pragmatism to ban a person who is actively attacking the core functions of Narrative, do we even deserve to survive?

Add Reply