Does downvoting a proposed niche affect the reputation score of anyone?

Service: Narrative

I have been called to task by a Narrator who doesn't believe in downvoting, in the situation of a proposed niche that is clearly duplicative of another already approved niche available for auction. Her opinion is that it will affect the reputation of the person who proposed the niche, which she is against. 

I have never considered that voting in the Proposed Niches might affect reputation and can find no reference to it...my only concern was preventing another duplicate from slipping through the cracks.

Can someone clarify?

Original Post
Votes (3)
VC NickelsColleen RyerSerroc

Activity Stream

The simple act of downvoting in and of itself does not negatively impact your reputation score.  Were that so then I'd have a pretty low reputation score after having downvoted on all of the spammy crypto posts.          

If someone has posed a duplicate niche then yes, it should be downvoted.

You can help the person, and the process, by putting in that it is a dupe, and commenting on which Niche that you think it is a dupe of, and why you think that.

David Dreezer posted:

The simple act of downvoting in and of itself does not negatively impact your reputation score.  Were that so then I'd have a pretty low reputation score after having downvoted on all of the spammy crypto posts.          

If someone has posed a duplicate niche then yes, it should be downvoted.

You can help the person, and the process, by putting in that it is a dupe, and commenting on which Niche that you think it is a dupe of, and why you think that.

I think the question was, how is the person who proposed the niche affected if it is downvoted or rejected?

Thanks Robert, yes, my question does my downvote of a niche, adversely affect the person who suggested it. And yes, David, I accompanied my downvote with an explanation...and also alerted folks who had voted for the niche, in case they were not aware that it was a duplicate of an existing niche.

In keeping with our policy of not posting the reputation formula or parts thereof that's just not something that I'm going to confirm, sorry. 

I don't think it matters, does it?  If the Niche is a duplicate it should be voted down. Even if the person is really really nice and you don't want to damage their reputation, it's still a duplicate.  Any damage that may be done by having a Niche downvoted is minimal at best. We need Niches. We need Niche suggestions.  As we get more and more Niches there will be more and more dupes.  It's not something that would cause an overwhelming or insurmountable reputation hit.

@David Dreezer  It doesn't matter to ME, I was just trying to find a way to explain to the other person(s) who think that those of us who downvote duplicates are EVIL INCARNATE -  that it doesn't affect people adversely. And it doesn't in the great scheme of things, because downvoting duplicates and poor content serve the greater good.

But your answer actually DID answer the question...it must affect the proposer or you would have cheerfully refuted it...as it is part of the proprietary algorithm, I won't continue to press, but this doesn't help in preventing the demonization of folks who are sincerely trying to keep the platform clean and focused, using the downvote sparingly and with thought.

C'est la vie.  There is no reasoning with emotions...and I think for some of the members this is a very emotional subject. Thanks for trying to clarify...I do see you are in an untenable position if you try to elaborate. 

Question Answered

This action was taken by Serroc.
To follow up on this question, please click here.