In the home stretch!

Service: Narrative

In the home stretch!

Service: Narrative

Hey everyone-

Just wanted to give a quick little (informal) update for the community.  

Things are really starting to come together on the platform.  We've got personal content streams (based on niches you follow) working very well, as well as the Discover page (where you can see good content from across the network).  Still wrangling a bit with niche content streams (and more specifically how we organize all of the components of a niche).

Here's a little sneak peak of a working "Discover" page (which is what a guest would see when they first visit Narrative), though obviously the content itself is simply placeholder:

Screenshot 2019-03-12 16.50.35

Note that "featured posts" are trending and/or high-quality posts (based on community ratings).  

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

Activity Stream

This is very exciting! Thank you for the sneak peak...An a side note, I see there is a lot of token purchases today....this  is also very exciting. I assume this may have something to do with the exposure at SXSW

And here is what the "home" page is looking like. This is the page you will land on when you first sign into Narrative. It is content stream that reflects everything you follow. 

Screenshot 2019-03-13 08.51.42

As you can see, there are four default views for the content stream:

1. Featured: posts that are either trending or high quality

2. Trending: posts that are trending

3. Quality:  posts that are high quality, based on community rating

4. Recent: chronological listing of posts by date

Note that you will also have a personal setting that allows you to always filter content in terms of quality, as well. Thus, if you set your account to never see low quality content, then you will not see low quality content in your content streams, even if you are viewing all recent content.

Attachments

Photos (2)

Just a quick report from SXSW that I spent the other day (all day) talking to attendees who came through the Startup Spotlight area, and I can tell you the reception was great!

Lots of excited people on the floor, and pretty sure it wasn't all about my weird blue wig. @Jayme Soulati I know you would have been right there with me!

I was talking to content creators, artists, filmmakers, journalists, bloggers, and many more who were nodding and smiling as I showed them Narrative. Fasten your seatbelts, people.

Ted posted:

And here is what the "home" page is looking like. This is the page you will land on when you first sign into Narrative. It is content stream that reflects everything you follow. 

Note that you will also have a personal setting that allows you to always filter content in terms of quality, as well. Thus, if you set your account to never see low quality content, then you will not see low quality content in your content streams, even if you are viewing all recent content.

hi Ted, question about home page. you mention that only posts from the niches you follow will come up on you home page. What opportunity is there to discover new content that you do not follow. In other words, is the quality or trending sections only  going to show me what is voted quality in the niches i follow. or through out the platform

Rosemary posted:

Just a quick report from SXSW that I spent the other day (all day) talking to attendees who came through the Startup Spotlight area, and I can tell you the reception was great!

Lots of excited people on the floor, and pretty sure it wasn't all about my weird blue wig. @Jayme Soulati I know you would have been right there with me!

I was talking to content creators, artists, filmmakers, journalists, bloggers, and many more who were nodding and smiling as I showed them Narrative. Fasten your seatbelts, people.

I've been watching the exchanges the past few days. lots of trading. A very good sign indeed!!

I think the Discover page is where discovery will happen, though it would be nice for something of that nature to exist right on the home page too.

Youtube's list of related videos down the right hand side of the screen is a great way to allow other materials to penetrate people's bubbles.

Maybe that can be part of the layout of the content page: you have the article front and center, and a side bar of related articles ordered by decreasing relevance... so other less related topics start to slip in the further down you go?

Malkazoid posted:

I think the Discover page is where discovery will happen, though it would be nice for something of that nature to exist right on the home page too.

Youtube's list of related videos down the right hand side of the screen is a great way to allow other materials to penetrate people's bubbles.

Maybe that can be part of the layout of the content page: you have the article front and center, and a side bar of related articles ordered by decreasing relevance... so other less related topics start to slip in the further down you go?

You will see top content from across the network on the home page as well.

Emily Barnett posted:
Ted posted:

hi Ted, question about home page. you mention that only posts from the niches you follow will come up on you home page. What opportunity is there to discover new content that you do not follow. In other words, is the quality or trending sections only  going to show me what is voted quality in the niches i follow. or through out the platform

There will be a widget on the "home page" that showcases "featured" content from across the network, as well. 

Christina Gleason posted:

What about content that doesn't include an image? How will that be displayed on the home page?

One of the requirements of being "featured" is that the post have at least one image.  Thus, for the "featured" list, all posts will necessarily have an image. For the other modes (trending/quality/recent) we display in more of a list mode that is not impacted by whether the post has an image or not.

Ted posted:
Christina Gleason posted:

What about content that doesn't include an image? How will that be displayed on the home page?

One of the requirements of being "featured" is that the post have at least one image.  Thus, for the "featured" list, all posts will necessarily have an image. For the other modes (trending/quality/recent) we display in more of a list mode that is not impacted by whether the post has an image or not.

Duly noted. Maybe I'll spend this evening searching for images to add to my text-only drafts!

Seems like you guys & gals nailed it with the homepage layout. It looks clean yet doesn't waste screen space, centralizes content, and balances out the users followed niches with featured content.

One of the annoyances of traditional social media feeds, like Twitter's, is that they go way too far outside of the users self-blown bubble. On that platform, I just wish to see a mix of new tweets from people I follow, not hundreds of irrelevant likes and tweets from what your followers followers follow, hehe.

Ted posted:

The niche pages are nearly done now, too (in our development environment).  Here's a preview of content on a niche:

Screenshot 2019-03-19 15.41.20

GASP!

Is that a 'Featured' tab I see?!?

Please say that wasn't a mistake...

It's not "featured" in the way that you might think. It is the automated "featured" I have mentioned before as a standard way to filter content streams-- basically, all of the content in the niche that is trending or high quality (based on community ratings).  

The curated version of "featured" is not supported (yet). 

Ted posted:

It's not "featured" in the way that you might think. It is the automated "featured" I have mentioned before as a standard way to filter content streams-- basically, all of the content in the niche that is trending or high quality (based on community ratings).  

Ok!  I didn't think that functionality would be in the beta so I was surprised!

Malkazoid posted:
Ted posted:

Ok!  I didn't think that functionality would be in the beta so I was surprised!

Sorry for giving you false hope.

Add Reply