Neon wallet inflating NRVE value by more than a factor of 4

Product: Narrative

Right now, the Neon wallet is showing NRVE as being worth $0.0317 USD.

The only exchange with any volume at all (Bilaxy), is showing the value of NRVE as 0.0067.

This gap is far too big to be due to any combination of volatility and updating frequency in the Neon app.  NRVE hasn't been worth anywhere near $0.0317 USD since September 2018.

I wonder what is going on?

Original Post

Activity Stream

Vico Biscotti posted:

I'm a crypto-ignorant, but I know a little bit about stocks and currencies, and this sounds... hmm... interesting!

PS: @Malkazoid, I guess (hope) that one digit slipped in, because 0.0317 / 0.00067 makes 47x...

Thanks!  Error corrected

Issue Resolved

This action was taken by MOLLY O.

Issue Reopened

This action was taken by Rosemary.

Topic Assigned

This topic has been assigned to David Dreezer by Rosemary.

Hi Malkazoid, we don't control the NEON wallet, but we'll see if we can find out if there's an issue with their calculation of the token value. It will be up to the NEON developer(s) to actually correct it if there is a bug, though.

It looks as though NEON wallet is using cryptocompare's API to derive the display of market price.  The problem is that cryptocompare is only using LATOKEN's  ETH/NRVE price.  The last ETH/NRVE trade on LATOKEN was months ago, and yes, it was a $0.03 trade given today's ETH price, hence the display that you see.  I do not know why they didn't use the more recent LATOKEN NEO/NRVE, but even at that, given that LATOKEN has closed trading in the US and in many other markets that isn't likely to change either.

We can and will ask cryptocompare to look at dcoin, bilaxy, and switcheo but we have no way of knowing what they will do. And we don't know if that will fix NEON wallet.

It might be worth a look at other NEO wallets too. They don't all use the same API to derive market pricing.

David Dreezer posted:

It looks as though NEON wallet is using cryptocompare's API to derive the display of market price.  The problem is that cryptocompare is only using LATOKEN's  ETH/NRVE price.  The last ETH/NRVE trade on LATOKEN was months ago, and yes, it was a $0.03 trade given today's ETH price, hence the display that you see.  I do not know why they didn't use the more recent LATOKEN NEO/NRVE, but even at that, given that LATOKEN has closed trading in the US and in many other markets that isn't likely to change either.

We can and will ask cryptocompare to look at dcoin, bilaxy, and switcheo but we have no way of knowing what they will do. And we don't know if that will fix NEON wallet.

It might be worth a look at other NEO wallets too. They don't all use the same API to derive market pricing.

@David Dreezer, I know there might not be time, but if anyone could suggest alternative Neon wallets, if this one isn't working properly, would be much appreciated.

I don't want to endorse any particular wallet as I've not seen one that is absolutely right always. I've tried 03 and it seems to have a market price display more in line with reality, but it also wasn't perfect.  It has issues with the amount of unclaimed Gas that I have.

I've stuck with Neon because I personally have almost no concern for my wallet showing a market price.  I've got a CMC bookmarked and a Blockfolio app on my phone.   All the same, I am aware that some people don't care about Gas and are more concerned with market price.  Maybe look at 03 for that?  We all focus on something different, right?  My point is that while they all are supposed to do pretty much the same thing, I'm not sure any of them get it 100% right, so it's "pick your poison" so to speak.

David Dreezer posted:

I don't want to endorse any particular wallet as I've not seen one that is absolutely right always. I've tried 03 and it seems to have a market price display more in line with reality, but it also wasn't perfect.  It has issues with the amount of unclaimed Gas that I have.

I've stuck with Neon because I personally have almost no concern for my wallet showing a market price.  I've got a CMC bookmarked and a Blockfolio app on my phone.   All the same, I am aware that some people don't care about Gas and are more concerned with market price.  Maybe look at 03 for that?  We all focus on something different, right?  My point is that while they all are supposed to do pretty much the same thing, I'm not sure any of them get it 100% right, so it's "pick your poison" so to speak.

I have the same take: I'll stick with Neon because I don't use it to judge market value...  If the APIs can't produce an accurate result, they'd be better off not trying to display those values, or displaying alongside it the date and source of the data.  When it comes to finances, nobody wants to see the wrong figure

Add Reply