Niche upvoting seems the easy route for rep gain

Service: Narrative

I may be wrong but I see that most of the accounts who want to gain rep in short time have one thing in common: serial upvoting of niches.

I experienced myself that ONLY upvoting niches got me at least one point in rep.

True or not true, this is what most users know. And this changes the niche approval process from "upvoting what makes sense" to "upvote anything" in the hope of gaining rep.

Upvoting niches may be part of the activity, but getting rep for upvoting anything doesn't seem to make sense, at least nowadays. And if it's not so, maybe it makes sense to be clear that it's not so, or to limit someway the upvoting. This now only leads to a multitude of niches that a few really cares about but that they upvote just in the hope (certainty?) of increasing rep.

Original Post

Activity Stream

Agreed, the system seems biased against negative curation and for positive. This makes curation ineffective and hurts those downvoting for the right reasons.

This seems counterproductive to me.

I understand the concern as being about the perception that upvoting is a better route for rep accrual, leading to too many upvotes?  Just confirming I understood you correctly @Vico Biscotti?

I agree, that perception probably exists, through a combination of two factors:

• the possible belief that downvoting too much might hurt reputation
  • the possible belief that upvoting a niche that gets rejected does not harm reputation

I agree we should try to educate everyone as to the reality concerning those two possible beliefs.

Meanwhile, serial upvoting skews the niche approval process, and will result in more appeals than necessary.

I think voting on niche suggestions - up OR down - should no longer be a reputation gaining activity. Neither should suggesting niches. I think we've all watched new user accounts do nothing but suggest and vote on niches until they have 30-40 rep. Maybe they start posting then, but I suspect many of them never start posting at, but instead act as sock puppet accounts with higher rep to vote for the user who created these accounts.

I don't see any reason to limit who can suggest and vote on niches as long as there is no benefit attached to doing so. No reason to keep new accounts completely disengaged, as their votes don't count as much until they earn reputation on the platform.

The reason to exclude low rep users is, they don't jump on suggestions or voting on Niches without syncing themselves with Narrative thoroughly. And we can avoid some spammers who might jump on Niches directly without contributing anything or understanding anything about the Narrative or how the Niche structure works. They might end up having a thought of using Niches as hashtags. Or we can see multiple Niches in a day from every newbie. Imagine having 100K users with having norestriction. 

I'd be okay with doing away with rep enhancement for niche voting and suggesting altogether. We have way too many unbought niches. There is an abundance of niches that have yet to be purchased, and it doesn't look good when non-Narrators show up and see all of those niches with no owners. If someone wants to suggest a niche and buy it, that's one thing, but serially suggesting niches that never get bought while enhancing one's rep isn't helping the platform. As @Vico Biscotti said, many new users are showing up, upvoting niches, moving their rep up into the 60s and 70s, and one has 91, with only a handful of published posts. One should not be able to get a rep above 90 with fewer than 10 published posts unless you're voting on and commenting on other people's posts, but not from upvoting niches.

Blogger Krunal posted:

How about this!

Only Medium or High rep users can suggest Niches and vote on it but they will not gain any kind of benefits from it? 

It already is that. Why do you think I haven't suggested any? Because you need a 50 rep or higher. @Christina Gleason

Sol Cycler posted:
Blogger Krunal posted:

How about this!

Only Medium or High rep users can suggest Niches and vote on it but they will not gain any kind of benefits from it? 

It already is that. Why do you think I haven't suggested any? Because you need a 50 rep or higher. @Christina Gleason

My statement stands that reputation shouldn't affect niche suggestions. But I'd thought the current rule was that you could suggest one per day if you didn't have 50 rep, not that you couldn't suggest them at all. Hmm.

Garden Gnome Publications posted:

I'd be okay with doing away with rep enhancement for niche voting and suggesting altogether. We have way too many unbought niches. There is an abundance of niches that have yet to be purchased, and it doesn't look good when non-Narrators show up and see all of those niches with no owners. If someone wants to suggest a niche and buy it, that's one thing, but serially suggesting niches that never get bought while enhancing one's rep isn't helping the platform. As @Vico Biscotti said, many new users are showing up, upvoting niches, moving their rep up into the 60s and 70s, and one has 91, with only a handful of published posts. One should not be able to get a rep above 90 with fewer than 10 published posts unless you're voting on and commenting on other people's posts, but not from upvoting niches.

Tagging @Ted@MOLLY O - and if there is someone more appropriate to have this discussion, they can designate that person.  This notion has popped up before, and has strong support - and I really think this is a good time to translate some of these thoughts into action.

I agree that rep enhancement for upvoting niches is no longer helping things out! There are way too many unusable niches right now IMHO...Time for a little discretion...

I agree @Vico Biscotti and it seems to be other down voting as well (not just niche suggestions). Why does my rep score down if I give a low quality score to someone else for having low quality? Now, I only want to give thumbs up and agree with everything so my score doesn't go down. Doesn't make sense. 

Add Reply