Why is commenting optional when down-voting a post? This makes no sense at all. We need to know why people are down-voting, otherwise they can speed-vote without really having much of a reason.

Most people are followers by nature, if they see a negative voting percentage they will be more likely to click down-vote, even if the Niche should be upvoted.

Hold users accountable, don't allow for laziness to be rewarded.

Original Post
cara posted:

Why is commenting optional when down-voting a post? This makes no sense at all. We need to know why people are down-voting, otherwise they can speed-vote without really having much of a reason.

Most people are followers by nature, if they see a negative voting percentage they will be more likely to click down-vote, even if the Niche should be upvoted.

Hold users accountable, don't allow for laziness to be rewarded.

Hey Cara

people do have to choose one of the offered reasons for their downvote.  

The comment section exists mostly for people who want to add some sort of additional aspect - often a helpful suggestion as to how the niche could be improved and get approval.  

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with the current system of using pre-supplied downvote reasons, and additionally allowing comments.  

You did not understand what I meant. 

When someone gives a "reason" for why they down-voted, it might be something like "duplicate niche", they should state which niche it is similar too. Make them think about their choice, explain it and hold them accountable for it.

If you force people to think and be direct, less mistakes will be made.

Maybe someone will think that they are making the right choice when they are actually not, so knowing the reasoning behind their decision would be very helpful.

Ah - I see.  Thanks for the extra details. 

I guess the team figures people already are being held accountable to some degree since voting will affect reputation.  If you downvote a niche that gets approved, I think the system applies a small rep penalty, which I think can get converted to a rep bonus, if the tribunal later intervenes and decides the niche was invalid.  Outcomes are definitely factored into rep bonuses and penalties for voting.  

While forcing a comment might be helpful, it would also decrease the efficiency of voting.  As @Malkazoid said above, if you are voting against a Niche that ultimately gets approved then your rep would take a hit. 

That being said, it would be nice to see the breakdown of why a Niche was downvoted ( I have suggested this in a post elsewhere), so users could see, 'oh...most people think it is a dupe'.  A downvote due to duplication or misspelling is usually pretty obvious.  Narrative already suggests some possible duplicate Niche collisions, it is usually one of those, and if not, I always see at least one comment specifying which Niche they think it is duplicating.  If we could see a downvote reason breakdown, 'misspelling' is pretty obvious and doesn't need additional comments / time to explain in my opinion. 

We also have plans in the future to support (and require) specifying which niche a niche duplicates when voting it down due to redundancy. This will be a necessary part of the niche de-duplication process that will ultimately consolidate duplicate niches into the original.

I'm trying hard to find problems with Narrative and the one's that I have found are not so big and by the sounds of it they won't be problems for long. That's great to hear. 

I'm really happy that I found Narrative so early in it's development. Excited for the future. Buying and holding tokens long term.

And I will be active on Narrative every single day as well.

cara posted:

I'm trying hard to find problems with Narrative and the one's that I have found are not so big and by the sounds of it they won't be problems for long. That's great to hear. 

I'm really happy that I found Narrative so early in it's development. Excited for the future. Buying and holding tokens long term.

And I will be active on Narrative every single day as well.

That’s great Cara - for my part, I’m really pleased we have someone like yourself who seems to be - by nature - thoughtful and constructive.  People like you are half the equation for Narrative to be successful. 

Add Reply