Creative commons license, image sourced from the Story of Stuff. It has not been modified. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/deed.en_US
Creative commons license, sourced from the Story of Stuff Project.  Unmodified.  http://creativecommons.org/lic...nc-nd/4.0/deed.en_US

So...  

Naturally the efforts of members to grow Narrative's user base at launch time, will be crucial.

We all have different networks, and different styles that will influence how we reach out to them and engage them.

I think we could see a boost of maybe 20-80% to our success rate in attracting users, if we all share our ideas on how this can be done most engagingly, and then from this process, condense down a list of the most promising strategies.

Please give this some real thought. I'd love to avoid posts containing only the super obvious, like: 

"Reach out to all your friends!  Tweet about Narrative!  This is going to be great!  Etc..."

Posting these sorts of things will just gum up the thread and make it more difficult to absorb the valuable posts?

I think we have a very smart membership here and I'd like us to collect in this thread as many insightful and potentially original ideas on how to naturally attract large numbers, fast, and without coming off as missionaries or used car salesmen.

Original Post

Method: Old photos that your crowd has not seen yet

Category: natural on-boarding of close friends and relatives

One way I'm planning to attract the important people in my life to share the Narrative platform with me, is to post old photographs I know they will enjoy discovering.

I think a lot of us have photos stashed somewhere, that depict us and our loved ones from so long ago that the images carry a fascinating poignancy to them.  And we've been meaning to scan them and send them to our oldest mates, but life just keeps happening to us, and it just never gets done?  

The good news is you now have a valid excuse to not do it right this minute.

The less good news is you really should do it towards the end of 2018, when the Narrative platform launches.  It can provide a very natural and non-preachy way for the people you value most to discover the platform.

Ideally, the Narrative Team will provide us with soft-touch incentives to get those casual visitors to become users of the platform once we've gotten them to visit it.

I'm promoting Narrative on Twitter and Linkedin. Unfortunately, since 99% of my friends on Facebook have no crypto interest/knowledge, it's harder to promote it there. It will be much easier if I on-board them by sharing my sex stories exclusively in Narrative before hitting my blog. I have a lot of traction with my dirty existential writing among my networks 

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-03 a la[s) 13.40.52

Attachments

Photos (1)
Dinuxen posted:

Great stuff We want be together and make some great promotion 

Yes, great stuff indeed. But, jokes aside, I think exclusive, quality content, is the key to make Narrative hit the ground running. Medium has done it, to great success. Whereas Steemit has failed to accomplish that, plagued with multiple copy/pasted duplicated content and low quality, mindless chatter.

Let's be Medium, but better. And free.

Method: Kicking the Facebook habit

Category: broad on-boarding strategies

I don't think it will be difficult for Facebook users to become curious about Narrative - there's a lot to be curious about, perhaps most prominently:

- owning your content

- getting paid for your content

These are very simple notions that can be communicated quickly and effectively.  

It is once that curiosity is there that the obstacles come up.  To name the biggest I can think of:

- inertia ("all my stuff is on Facebook, and all my friends are")

- I don't understand cryptocurrency, and it scares me

Inertia

The best way to overcome big inertia of this kind is with baby steps.

The idea isn't to kick the Facebook habit cold turkey - that's not realistic.

What is realistic is to use both Narrative and Facebook in parallel for a while, until the new isn't scary anymore, and the old just feels old.

Some practical first steps with Narrative could be:

'flipping the script': starting something new on Narrative, that the user has not been doing on Facebook, and using their Facebook account to broadcast it.  It is harder to move an existing activity from one platform to another, than to take up a new activity somewhere new.  I like this one, because it lines up nicely with the possibility of financial support.  The segment of people who are contemplating new careers, new hobbies, or any kind of change in their lives could use their Narrative journals as incubators for this transformation, and receive support from their crowd via upvotes and tips.  This can start by simply following and encouraging their journey, but could culminate in helping to fund real world objectives and even start collaborations.  Facebook can be extremely useful in broadcasting this content to one's existing network until one bright day, that just isn't necessary anymore

interface with a brand in modern ways: I don't have the silver bullet for this, but if we can come up with something novel about how users interact with brands on Narrative, this could be a big draw for both brands and users alike.  Right now, I'm thinking about feedback and product suggestion tools so that users can suggest and vote on how a brand might not be doing the most it can for its customers, and how it can improve.  To elevate itself above simple complaints or unengaging feedback, Narrators could be encouraged in some way to use direct demonstration of shortcomings or improvements, via video, illustration, images, etc...  Perhaps there could be a network wide award every week for the most engaging/funny/creative or simply ingenious feedback videos, with reputation bonus and NRVE awarded to the winner?

Narrative can also become fertile ground for brands to identify and link up with real people who embody the brand's spirit, or ethics.  Brand channel tools could be tailored to facilitating brand outreach to identify such individuals, through a premium tier of search functions and/or contests that Narrators generate content for.

If these ways of interfacing with brands don't exist elsewhere or are not democratised yet elsewhere, then folks will naturally turn to Narrative rather than Facebook for this sort of interaction between brands and customers.

And once they generate this content for Narrative, folks can naturally share it on other networks, giving further exposure to Narrative.  The platform could pick the most engaging content and promote it itself, beyond the network, for purposes of getting folks further afield to associate the network with a certain streak of genius content. 

I don't understand cryptocurrency, and it scares me

I suspect that as it is so often the case, this obstacle is an opportunity in disguise.

The whole crypto world is facing this hurdle: how to trigger the next wave of adoption and get that much closer to crypto being mainstream?

Instead of considering this an obstacle for Narrative adoption, lets consider it our chance to be part of the solution for the entire cryptosphere.

It is the crypto that is scary in cryptocurrency.  Without the crypto, cryptocurrency just becomes currency.  So one approach to consider is to get in the habit of simply calling NRVE The Content Currency.  Or some such.  

Nothing scary about that, and it directly communicates core aspects of why Narrative exists.  Tokens, to a lesser degree, are part of the scary world of cryptocurrency.  Not only does the word invoke questions of whether there is real value there or not: it also inherently gives rise to limiting thinking.  A token is generally something devised for use within a micro-economy, like a golf course, or an amusement park.  If we want Narrative to grow to become a dominant force, I think we have to adapt our words to reflect that reality so it can come to pass.  So currency is better than cryptocurrency or token, and if we have to be specific about a novel aspect of the currency, then The Content Currency gives that specificity.

Our goal should be to be the gateway for cryptocurrency to become mainstream.  I don't think there is any secret to this beyond Narrative itself becoming successful, and being careful to speak about its currency in ways that are familiar and unclouded.

That's all I've got for now.

I think the whole argument of "owning my content" and "being paid for my content" are great selling points, specially if we bash Facebook for their inmoral data exposure and trading practices. Though, my main concern -and one of Narrative's biggest challenges- is, hands down, filling the gap between crypto and fiat. We need to offer our users a fiat gateway, for probably at least 50% have no idea what crypto is, nor they will see the use to it. So saying "we'll give you XXX tokens" will sound like nothing to them. Let's talk turkey: how much USD/EUR/(Insert your currency) will I get if I get 1000 likes/views? That's way more appealing to users and will drive a lot of people to Narrative, and, with that, BRANDS. Yes, that's right. Real, big money.

Eduardo Hernández posted:

I think the whole argument of "owning my content" and "being paid for my content" are great selling points, specially if we bash Facebook for their inmoral data exposure and trading practices. Though, my main concern -and one of Narrative's biggest challenges- is, hands down, filling the gap between crypto and fiat. We need to offer our users a fiat gateway, for probably at least 50% have no idea what crypto is, nor they will see the use to it. So saying "we'll give you XXX tokens" will sound like nothing to them. Let's talk turkey: how much USD/EUR/(Insert your currency) will I get if I get 1000 likes/views? That's way more appealing to users and will drive a lot of people to Narrative, and, with that, BRANDS. Yes, that's right. Real, big money.

Agreed, and I think Narrative will probably quote in fiat whenever appropriate, perhaps similarly to the way Steemit does... or perhaps differently.  

There is a discussion to be had about obscuring NRVE too much though.  It all depends on what the goal is for the currency.  If the idea is that we will design incentives to hold NRVE because it benefits the community in major ways for it to appreciate, then NRVE can't be hidden away like an embarrassing cousin who drools and gropes his relatives.

I'm in two minds about what the ambition should be, but most importantly, I'm not sure what the Narrative Team's ambition is for this and it would be great to find out.  I'll start a thread to discuss it as I don't recall seeing this explored yet.

I'm on board with that. It's not my intention to obscure our token in any way, but I think we have to educate our users about crypto through the token. But, as I said, the token in itself might not be important, in the beginning, to the average content generator.

Also, I'd hate Narrative to become just another Cryptocurrency subreddit. Crypto should be just another niche, and never the main focus. That's the only way to thrive and survive in this competitive medium (see what I did there? )

Hehe, I do indeed see what you are doing there...

Yes, I'm glad you're mindful of the Crypto focus that many early adopters inevitably have.  From what I can see, there will be a fairly broad array of interests represented in the first niches, and then it will be up to the niche owners and their early adopters to create an attractive space and content that embodies their niche successfully.  Crypto may be somewhat overrepresented initially, but as long as the platform is well designed, this doesn't have to be apparent to users who come to Narrative for something else.

I personally have zero interest in discussing crypto in my content so I'll be 100 percent dedicated to bringing the platform towards equilibrium with the broader community of interests.

Wow there is alot of content in this thread.  All great ideas.  

I for one will use my social media platforms to get the word out as most of you have stated. I plan on using both business and personal venues.  

Realistically, I have very few business associates and family that are Crypto Enthusiasts other than my boys.  So I will be just talking about how the content within Narrative will drive the success.  And the compensation for good content will be in the form of tokens that you can exchange for cash.  Simple as that.  It is all about getting the creators excited by giving them motivation of cashing out.

On top of that, since I do work with a lot of educational institutions, I can use my connections to spread the word amongst the students. The elder of the Gen-Zers.  

https://www.fastcompany.com/30...termined-anti-millen

As @CryptoPhil points out, there is still a big lack of knowledge of crypto, from what it is to what you can do with it. It'd be nice if the platform offers a real world case for the use of the token (ex. buying Narrative merch with NRVE,) and also if it displays the token balances in your account with their fiat value, so less crypto savvy people still gets an idea of what their tokens are worth (which is what steemit is doing.)

Add Reply