Hello all,

This is a reminder to the @Narrative Network Team that comments on niche ballot boxes are still unnecessarily hidden from view in a tab.  This is becoming an urgent consideration as we ramp up participation in Chaucer, and is already causing problems.

There is a redundant niche underway (please take a moment to vote NO on it):

https://alpha.narrative.org/ballot/8352348105331322

Two members of the community have taken the time to comment ( @Emily Barnett and me )  on the ballot to let people know it is redundant, but I'm willing to bet VERY few people have seen these comments because they are literally buried in the current interface.  

The community put forth a suggestion quite a while ago that the comments could be listed directly on the ballot box page but this suggestion may have been rejected for some reason by the team, or simply fallen through the cracks?

I would go further and suggest that additionally, a link to the comments when any exist (including how many comments exist) could be placed on the niche ballot boxes listing page, right beneath the approval percentage of each proposed niche in the listing.

Right now, we're asking the community to comment on niche ballot boxes, yet burying that crowd sourced wisdom unnecessarily.  Please, lets fix it.

PS  I'm not worried about my Non Profit niche - the new one is clearly redundant and if it doesn't get removed through the voting process, it will be removed by the Tribunal.  My concern is the waste of people's time posting comments that don't get seen, AND the unnecessary burden put on the Tribunal when this results in redundant niches being referred to it. 

Original Post
Malkazoid posted:

Hello all,

This is a reminder to the @Narrative Network Team that comments on niche ballot boxes are still unnecessarily hidden from view in a tab.  This is becoming an urgent consideration as we ramp up participation in Chaucer, and is already causing problems.

There is a redundant niche underway (please take a moment to vote NO on it):

https://alpha.narrative.org/ballot/8352348105331322

Two members of the community have taken the time to comment ( @Emily Barnett and me )  on the ballot to let people know it is redundant, but I'm willing to bet VERY few people have seen these comments because they are literally buried in the current interface.  

The community put forth a suggestion quite a while ago that the comments could be listed directly on the ballot box page but this suggestion may have been rejected for some reason by the team, or simply fallen through the cracks?

I would go further and suggest that additionally, a link to the comments when any exist (including how many comments exist) could be placed on the niche ballot boxes listing page, right beneath the approval percentage of each proposed niche in the listing.

Right now, we're asking the community to comment on niche ballot boxes, yet burying that crowd sourced wisdom unnecessarily.  Please, lets fix it.

PS  I'm not worried about my Non Profit niche - the new one is clearly redundant and if it doesn't get removed through the voting process, it will be removed by the Tribunal.  My concern is the waste of people's time posting comments that don't get seen, AND the unnecessary burden put on the Tribunal when this results in redundant niches being referred to it. 

I ditto these concerns. After being away from Narrative for the past 8 days or so, I was surprised how many new redundant niches had been suggested. I left comments but I know it is such a mute issue, as it is hard to find them. Especially for newbies.

I'm always looking through possible comments when I see a niche with less than 100%, and am posting them myself.

But yes, I'd suggest the comments to appear as a javascript pop-out box by clicking a little button near the 2 vote buttons, or something.

Another means of tightening the voting/commenting process would be to send alert emails to anyone who has voted on a niche, if a new comment is made on that niche ballot.

Of course people could opt in for this, but I would suggest the platform should strongly encourage opting in to this.  Remind people that how they vote becomes part of their reputation, and if new comments shed light on niches that helps them change their votes in the right direction, over time this will have a significant effect on their reputation, and so on their overall experience of the platform, including their awards revenue.

If you design the process flow of this alert to read the comment on Chaucer, you could also boost votes on other niches significantly.  On the page they land on to read the comment, and potentially change their vote, I suggest listing all the niches they have not voted on yet, in such a way as to encourage them to continue voting after they have reconsidered their other vote.

Something to jot down in the options for improving vote participation @Narrative Network Team

Add Reply