Hi Narrative Peeps.

Today,  facebook suggested a new advertisment for me; a decentralized token-based journalism platform that generates ad-revenues to distribute among accredited journalists. It is called  Civil. https://joincivil.com

They claim they have already spent 1,000,000 on courting high profile online journalists. We have our work cut out for us! Any owners that think this is going to be easy street to their first LAMBO might be surprised.

I think we all need to really think about who is the best moderator for our winning niches.... and then start thinking about how they will woo an audience to read the content.

Any thoughts?

Original Post

My first notion is Narrative has the advantage of having a broader scope.  This is to be a social network, not just an outlet for journalists.  

Next - journalists would do well to put their pieces on any network that will pay.  I doubt exclusivity will be a part of these deals.  

I think one of the biggest factors for journalists will be the size of the network.  If we launch and grow faster than Civil, we will be a more attractive platform for their content. 

These are my first impressions - without having researched their project.  

Malkazoid posted:

My first notion is Narrative has the advantage of having a broader scope.  This is to be a social network, not just an outlet for journalists.  

Next - journalists would do well to put their pieces on any network that will pay.  I doubt exclusivity will be a part of these deals.  

I think one of the biggest factors for journalists will be the size of the network.  If we launch and grow faster than Civil, we will be a more attractive platform for their content. 

Agreed, the team has said in interviews they see no limits to what this space can cover within the social media space, including video platforms and more in the future. 

Malkazoid posted:

Mmmmm...I sort of agree...but kind of not. Quality of association is important to journalists. For instance, I find the quality of content on Steemit severely lacking (with exceptions of course). I think just because there is a monetization to a platform there is no guarantee everyone (meaning journalists) will jump in. That is why we as the initial niche owners must really set a standard of quality from upon launch. 

I know that the core team has stated often, that Narrative will have a commitment to quality. I believe they have done a good job to build systems for the community  to offer some push back in response to poor quality, ie. voting out a moderator not doing her/his job. this is very good.

I do agree that the size of the community is mighty impactful. I guess that is why I posted this thread...Civil has put up a lot of money already to entice journalists from Vice, Gawker, Daily info-- New York and Chicago locations, as well as the Los Angeles Times. These folks have big credibility, and have huge followers. That means  Civil will have start with a healthy base just by association.

I agree that  this platform is different. That it is for individuals whom socially journal, as  well as  content  makers. That is still super important to me.  I just think it is good business sense for us Niche Owners to find really good moderators and content makers to bring into our community. Call me elitist if you will, but I want to spend my time reading quality material. Some platforms just do a better job than others. 

Don't get me wrong, this post is not being negative in any way to Narrative. I am still 100% enthusiastic about this platform...I just know that within a New York minute, we will all be up to our elbows  with platforms racing to land the first position of the content economy. I thought this would be an interesting thread to inform others about rising competition, and how we all intend to individually prepare for that. 

Emily Barnett posted:
Malkazoid posted:

Mmmmm...I sort of agree...but kind of not. Quality of association is important to journalists. For instance, I find the quality of content on Steemit severely lacking (with exceptions of course). I think just because there is a monetization to a platform there is no guarantee everyone (meaning journalists) will jump in. That is why we as the initial niche owners must really set a standard of quality from upon launch. 

I agree!  The mistake I am making is taking Narrative's quality for granted since it is an often repeated goal.  I do sometimes worry a little that the reality might fall short. 

I think we will easily be better than Steemit, just with the mechanisms already in place, let alone what the Team might be working on that we do not yet know about.

But in terms of aiming higher than just beating Steemit, I am a bit concerned that some niches will not uphold the highest standards.  Our model is vulnerable to the differences of individual moderators.

My personal hopes for Narrative are sky high in terms of quality.  I would like to see moderators reject materials that have grammatical errors and typos - with a friendly note to resubmit with them corrected.  The higher standards we set ourselves, the more contributors will desire to be with us...

I know that the core team has stated often, that Narrative will have a commitment to quality. I believe they have done a good job to build systems for the community  to offer some push back in response to poor quality, ie. voting out a moderator not doing her/his job. this is very good.

I hope the community will be vigilant and hold high standards for the moderators.  This will vary from person to person.  The more we underline the importance of this from the get-go, the more this message will sink in, and the more vigilant the community will be.  This will certainly be one of the metrics of our success: is the community actively pursuing this excellence from the niches?

I do agree that the size of the community is mighty impactful. I guess that is why I posted this thread...Civil has put up a lot of money already to entice journalists from Vice, Gawker, Daily info-- New York and Chicago locations, as well as the Los Angeles Times. These folks have big credibility, and have huge followers. That means  Civil will have start with a healthy base just by association.

True...  What is their launch schedule, do you know?

I'm being lazy!  Let me have a look.

Ok, they say spring 2018, but nothing on their site or in their blog posts gives any more detail than that.  Either they are simply being very secretive, or what they have planned for 2018 is not a full launch, but an initial revealing of some aspect of the platform?

We'll see.

I like what I see on their site - and I'm glad they are doing this.

I agree that  this platform is different. That it is for individuals whom socially journal, as  well as  content  makers. That is still super important to me.  I just think it is good business sense for us Niche Owners to find really good moderators and content makers to bring into our community. Call me elitist if you will, but I want to spend my time reading quality material. Some platforms just do a better job than others. 

Hehe - not at all: its not elitist to want to read good quality material!  I can't speak for every other member of Narrative, but the biggest contributors to this community forum all seem to share this desire for Narrative to set the bar high for quality.

Don't get me wrong, this post is not being negative in any way to Narrative. I am still 100% enthusiastic about this platform...I just know that within a New York minute, we will all be up to our elbows  with platforms racing to land the first position of the content economy. I thought this would be an interesting thread to inform others about rising competition, and how we all intend to individually prepare for that. 

My preparation won't change, whether there is one competitor or fifty.  I plan to attract the highest quality content I can.  You and I need to talk about moderating BTW (Politics Niche) - I like that we share the same focus on quality, and I need moderators who will not compromise on this!

@Emily Barnett competition is always good! We can learn from it and it will push us to be better. But first let them learn from us:

- NEO instead of Ethereum

- Own all your narrative, not only the new

- The whole community vs only professionals

- Free voting vs Token voting; having more tokens means more saying, means power to the few instead of the community

(content on Civil will only be written by those the larger community have deemed as professionals capable of sustaining a successful Newsroom that adheres to journalistic ethics and standards)

But if we watch closely they have some mechanisms or rules that will help a sustainable growth and quality too.

I have to read more to see which are useful though.

Jeroenski74 posted:

@Emily Barnett competition is always good! We can learn from it and it will push us to be better. But first let them learn from us:

- NEO instead of Ethereum

- Own all your narrative, not only the new

- The whole community vs only professionals

- Free voting vs Token voting; having more tokens means more saying, means power to the few instead of the community

(content on Civil will only be written by those the larger community have deemed as professionals capable of sustaining a successful Newsroom that adheres to journalistic ethics and standards)

But if we watch closely they have some mechanisms or rules that will help a sustainable growth and quality too.

I have to read more to see which are useful though.

Really great answer @Jeroenski74 I am not as versed as others on this community board in cryptocurrency, so I had to ask my husband to tell me the differences between Ethereum and NEO. Now that I have a better understanding, I agree...easier adoption is very good.

On that note...the fact that Narrative has always wanted to entice non-crypto folks to the platform was a real selling point to me. Without critical mass there is no advertising dollars. Without fresh money from ad rev...we just dilute a large pile of crypto into a small pile pretty quick. I guess that's why i just keep hammering maintaining a high standard of quality. This is an area that Civil will excel at over Narrative just by the sheer nature that it is journalist focused. They will have a very massive readership base and they WILL be a major competitor for advertising contracts. 

Our team would be ahead of things to start focusing on wooing advertisers asap. locking in contracts  asap, after launching. I know civil will be

Malkazoid posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Malkazoid posted:

I agree!  The mistake I am making is taking Narrative's quality for granted since it is an often repeated goal.  I do sometimes worry a little that the reality might fall short. 

I think we will easily be better than Steemit, just with the mechanisms already in place, let alone what the Team might be working on that we do not yet know about.

But in terms of aiming higher than just beating Steemit, I am a bit concerned that some niches will not uphold the highest standards.  Our model is vulnerable to the differences of individual moderators.

My personal hopes for Narrative are sky high in terms of quality.  I would like to see moderators reject materials that have grammatical errors and typos - with a friendly note to resubmit with them corrected.  The higher standards we set ourselves, the more contributors will desire to be with us...

I hope the community will be vigilant and hold high standards for the moderators.  This will vary from person to person.  The more we underline the importance of this from the get-go, the more this message will sink in, and the more vigilant the community will be.  This will certainly be one of the metrics of our success: is the community actively pursuing this excellence from the niches?

True...  What is their launch schedule, do you know?

I'm being lazy!  Let me have a look.

Ok, they say spring 2018, but nothing on their site or in their blog posts gives any more detail than that.  Either they are simply being very secretive, or what they have planned for 2018 is not a full launch, but an initial revealing of some aspect of the platform?

We'll see.

I like what I see on their site - and I'm glad they are doing this.

Hehe - not at all: its not elitist to want to read good quality material!  I can't speak for every other member of Narrative, but the biggest contributors to this community forum all seem to share this desire for Narrative to set the bar high for quality.

My preparation won't change, whether there is one competitor or fifty.  I plan to attract the highest quality content I can.  You and I need to talk about moderating BTW (Politics Niche) - I like that we share the same focus on quality, and I need moderators who will not compromise on this!

@Malkazoid I agree that we should easily beat the standard of quality that Steemit has achieved. Problem is, when money becomes involved people's standards can easily become corrupted. This is so evident on Steemit...with so many people gaming the system with autobots that upvote posts for payment to get onto the trending page, there is no motivation to make excellent content...any old crap will do. 

I asked one of the core team members if there was a mechanism to combat autobots on Narrative and they assured me the reputation system was built in such a way that it can't happen. This was the relief i needed to invest in the platform...not just currency, but also my far more precious time. 

I do think the people whom are active on the community board are all very much aligned with maintaining quality...but sadly I see the same few 20 people...maybe even less, that are engaging...I recall hearing that there was about 285 founders, (I could have that wrong) and more patrons to add in. What are they like. They clearly are not as invested as the rest of us. Will they maintain quality? I hope so!

I know I sound like broken record, but like you said, this is the forum to keep reiterating its importance. 

I REALLY want this thing to take off. And I hope to inspire.

'My personal hopes for Narrative are sky high in terms of quality.  I would like to see moderators reject materials that have grammatical errors and typos - with a friendly note to resubmit with them corrected.  The higher standards we set ourselves, the more contributors will desire to be with us...'

I really want the focus to be on the quality of the content. So maybe a tip for the team to have an automatic mechanism for the above. Also moderators want to spent their precious time on content rather than typos I presume?!

There should be enough mechanisms in place to help moderators to focus on real issues triggered by the community. I've seen it on telegram, which is definitely not comparable to the content we expect on narrative, that when volumes get high, moderators can't read everything anymore. I see telegram here only as an environment with a lot of volume of messages to see what these volumes do to moderators, no more.

Jeroenski74 posted:

@Emily Barnett I definitely don't want narrative be a crypto only thing far from it. So sorry for mentioning it as the first bullet ;-) But I see way more niches NOT related to it so I'm very positive here!

@Jeroenski74 I am glad that you did mention it! It wasn't something i considered, but yes now that i do understand, the functionality of the currency that tokens are attached, i understand it has a real bearing to the people whom earn it, especially as crypto gets closer to mainstream adoption.

It's very interesting to follow this discussion (thank you).  My "not weighing in"  is not "my not reading carefully."  !!

The competition will be real.  There were lots of social media platforms.  Why did MySpace, then FB, then Twitter, then Instagram, then XYZ   take off?  Others faded quickly.  Some is organization, some is marketing $$, some is timing.  A lot is getting the right concept for the right moment and the right crowd.  I like the Civic concept and wish it well.  Journalism could use a makeover.  Maybe it could be the next AP or Reuters for independents.

Narrative will aim more broadly as several of you pointed out.  We'll do "Cute Cat Pictures"  for example (it's taken!!).  There's a more popular market we're after.  That doesn't mean journalism can't take hold in Narrative as well.   The example here is how Crypto news moved from BitCoinTalk to Medium in a space of months.  With the right "content entrepreneurship" in place, some of our niches may be the next stop for smart writing about blockchain....

As all of you pointed out, quality is the goal but there are no guarantees   -- just opportunities.

We have a first mover advantage, may the odds be in our favor! 

On a side note I don't see why all these platform can't co-exist together!
Most of us have these social media platforms: instagram, twitter, facebook.

&

Messenger apps like discord, telegram

&

uses both twitch and youtube!

There is definitely enough room for everyone! Cheers! 

Madhanic posted:

We have a first mover advantage, may the odds be in our favor! 

On a side note I don't see why all these platform can't co-exist together!
Most of us have these social media platforms: instagram, twitter, facebook.

&

Messenger apps like discord, telegram

&

uses both twitch and youtube!

There is definitely enough room for everyone! Cheers! 

I definitely think we  can all exist. My post was to rally for Quality. There are tons of platforms, bit not every platform makes the same amount in Advertising contracts. We want to get paid.

I like making dollars per hours  not cents per hour.

I wrote this post so that we keep our eye on the Big Picture not just our own little Niche corners.

Add Reply