Hello...

So the fine tuning saga of niche creation and appeals continues.  

JR brought this to my attention - the same user that proposed the Video Games niche, despite there already being a Gaming niche, has proposed a Narrative 411 niche, despite there being a Narrative Support niche already.

In both cases, the questionable new niches were approved by the community.

Both new niches now have appeals against them.

For the Gaming vs Video Games, the case is pretty clear cut.  Almost nobody thinks of board games or card games when the word 'Gaming' is uttered - and certainly nobody under the age of 45 does.  Gaming means video games.

We have to consider user experience as our highest priority here: there is no success for Narrative if we sacrifice user experience to other considerations.  People will think Narrative is stupid and will get annoyed, if there are two synonymous niches like these.

With the Narrative Support and Narrative 411 niches, it is a little less clear cut.  An argument could be made for the 411 niche having a more precise description - which could lull one into thinking it is a sub niche.

But again... USER EXPERIENCE.  There is only confusion and frustration to be gained by having two niches to turn to for support and information on how to be more successful on the platform.

I'm afraid that the narrow guidelines of the tribunal are going to fail us here.  We have to look at this niche pair holistically and make a smart decision for the good of the network.  This isn't about whether the name is unique or whether it follows policy: it is about what the users will think and feel over and over again when they search for content, or go to submit content.  Anything that roughens that experience will be like throwing sand into the moving parts of the network.

Original Post

In my opinion, the two niches are completely different. One is "Narrator Support", which is clearly about support for anyone using the Narrative platform (Narrators). This can include readers, content creators, niche owners, moderators, etc. "Narrative Niche 411" is focused purely on niches. As such, I think it clearly qualifies as a sub-niche that can stand on its own.

Brian Lenz posted:

In my opinion, the two niches are completely different. One is "Narrator Support", which is clearly about support for anyone using the Narrative platform (Narrators). This can include readers, content creators, niche owners, moderators, etc. "Narrative Niche 411" is focused purely on niches. As such, I think it clearly qualifies as a sub-niche that can stand on its own.

Brian, I understand your reasoning, but then I have to ask, what occurs if the sub-niche starts providing support outside of merely Niche support? Do I then have a claim to the tribunal? And does this mean that the Narrator Support Niche can also be used for Niche Ownership support? 

Hi @JR, that could technically be a concern for any niche. There would be nothing to stop someone from cross-posting a piece of content to both niches, as well. Keep in mind that content creators choose the niches, not the niche owners or moderators. Content creators will likely centralize and focus their content on the more popular niches over time, so this is where good niche promotion comes in. If your niche is successful, it will stand tall as the obvious place to post Narrative support questions.

Brian Lenz posted:

Hehe - I must be tired: I completely overlooked the word 'niche' in the title.

I agree, that does make it a sub niche.

JR posted:
Brian Lenz posted:

Brian, I understand your reasoning, but then I have to ask, what occurs if the sub-niche starts providing support outside of merely Niche support? Do I then have a claim to the tribunal? And does this mean that the Narrator Support Niche can also be used for Niche Ownership support? 

JR, my guess is that the broader niche wins out in this sort of scenario, in most cases.  Because a post about with a niche tip is very likely to post to both the niche 411 niche, and your Narrative Support niche?  Especially, as Brian mentioned, if you do your promotion well and everyone gets into the reflex of posting all Narrative information to Narrative Support.

I know that this is kind of resolved but maybe it would be advantageous for the second one to just be called Niche 411. I think both these niches will make for very busy moderators and as we grow, one may just not be enough. I think this sub-niche is very important to the community.

Add Reply