In light of the increase in the cap on the number of owned niches, which I think is awesome by the way, now might be a good time to think about the value of owning niches. I've been sitting on my five for a while now. As a minnow, should I sink some more money in? 

On the current schedule, the Beta releases sometime in March. At that point, as I understand it, the clock will start ticking on our year of niche ownership.

A niche costs roughly $75 USD at the time it is purchased. 

So I have from March 2019 to March 2020 to make $75 off each niche, if I want the niches to be self-sustaining. After that, I'll have to kick more money in if I want to continue to enjoy the benefits of ownership, or abandon losing niches.

Let's say I'm out of spare NRVE, for the sake of simplicity.

To get 5 more niches I need $375. So my 5 niches together need to make 31.25/month altogether, averaging 6.25/month each in order to be self-sustaining.

Until advertising comes along, the only revenue generating option for me qua being a niche owner is affiliate marketing. I could strategically place some affiliate links say, in a pinned post, or in a resources section or some such. At least, I assume I can do that. 

I'd like that to be clarified before deciding to purchase more niches.

Moreover, since I dabble in web design, I'd really like a better idea of how the niche pages are going to look to plan how best to put such a plan in motion.

Currently, there's  no ability to share content between users, or even for users to directly communicate for that matter, so the ability to use affiliate links to successfully recoup the purchase seems even more limited. I expect the social aspect to change dramatically by Beta. But Beta is very close. 

The question I'm asking myself is this: Is Beta too close, with too few features (especially advertising and the revenue it will hopefully bring) to justify more than a vanity expense?

Original Post

I think the benefits of early niche ownership are in being able to shape how your particular niche community or communities function. You'll have your mod team working on monitoring the content and the comments from the very start. (If you have no one nominating themselves as a mod yet, nominate yourself! I did so in my niche so that I could take a more hands-on role in moderating, even though I won't get the additional 6% revenue for moderating. 

We may not recoup our investments in the first year, but we may show enough growth to suggest that the second year will be better. Honestly, I didn't join up to become a niche owner/investor, I signed up to write and get paid for creating content. Ownership is just something else I'm trying within the limits of my personal budget.

(And apparently this has been sitting here for 3-4 hours on my screen because I forgot to hit "Post Reply." Oops.)

Hey @MichelleG so good to have you and your thinking cap, back on the community page starting good thread like this one. I too see niches I want to buy but share similar concerns, this close to beta, i have a lets see mentality. 

I think you ask an interesting question about affiliate links. 

At this point I do want more information about marketing, advertising, and a bit more functionality, before I invest round three of my money. But I am super happy to have the extra niche slots available for when and if I do.

Christina Gleason posted:

I think the benefits of early niche ownership are in being able to shape how your particular niche community or communities function. You'll have your mod team working on monitoring the content and the comments from the very start. (If you have no one nominating themselves as a mod yet, nominate yourself! I did so in my niche so that I could take a more hands-on role in moderating, even though I won't get the additional 6% revenue for moderating. 

We may not recoup our investments in the first year, but we may show enough growth to suggest that the second year will be better. Honestly, I didn't join up to become a niche owner/investor, I signed up to write and get paid for creating content. Ownership is just something else I'm trying within the limits of my personal budget.

(And apparently this has been sitting here for 3-4 hours on my screen because I forgot to hit "Post Reply." Oops.)

Oh trust me. I'm very invested in the US Presidential Election and Donald Trump niches that I own, and there's no chance I'll let those lapse. Shaping those communities and beyond that helping to shape the general character of all the politics related niches is very important to me. I want everyone to feel and be free to express their views without fear of partisan moderation in particular.

But there's a separate question as to whether it makes sense to start the clock ticking on a paid time period when the ability to recoup that money simply doesn't exist yet and won't until an unspecified time in the future.

That's really what I'm getting at here, not particularly for me but on behalf of the influx of users I hope to see post Beta release.

The project seems to be gaining momentum, as it should because not only is it amazing, features have been rolling out like gangbusters. I'm trying to raise a concern here about hitting a very avoidable wall.

Add Reply