So I just received my first Niche suggestion rejection. It was a great learning experience. There's just one problem: I can't suggest any more Niches for 7 days.

Really?

I'm not angry. I'm not upset. I'm a little disappointed. But I'm mostly befuzzled. 

This is Alpha stage, the stage where you want to prove yourself to potential users. Like a first date. You put on your lipstick and eye shadow, squirt a little sweet-smelling sneeze spray on the left and right sides of your neck, just under the cheek where you hope your date will nuzzle you with his nose later, slip on your red high heels and fishnets, practice your smile in the mirror, then head out to make a good first impression. Little did you know, your date doesn't like the smell of jasmine and has an allergic reaction to the color red. So he sneezes, and instead of saying "Bless you, may I get you a handkerchief?," you tell him he can't have another date with you for seven days. Nice going. 

I've been a full-time content strategist since 2006 and active on the Internet since the mid-1990s. Never have I seen a social media website right out of the gate institute punitive measures on the very people it wants to use its platform (those usually come later). 

I understand there needs to be a reputation system. Narrative's seems a little convoluted, but I'm open-minded. I'll give it a try, see what happens. I have been actively promoting Narrative on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Steemit and have managed to work myself up to rank #60 in the referral rankings. Not impressive, but not too shabby considering I've really only been active for a couple of weeks. I have pored myself over your Specs to ensure I understand the platform, its inner workings, the culture, the technology, and to help myself understand the best way to approach the platform and become a good Narrative citizen. As an award-winning journalist, I pride myself on my level of detail and ability to perform deep research. I go way beyond what the average user is going to do when they join, and this happened to me.

My only sin? Suggesting a niche that wasn't quite as well thought out as it should have been but much more thought out than many that are getting approved. It was unique. It was bold. It was well-intentioned (and met all the criteria for Niche suggestions in the Spec). "The Tribunal," a simple idea. Two-way communication between members of The Tribunal and the rest of the Narrative community. I thought it was clever. It clearly wasn't. The community downvoted it. And I can bear that with a smile. I'd even happily take a hit to my reputation score on account of it. After all, it just didn't fit in with community standards.

But jail? Solitary confinement? On a first offense? Just because you want to make a point? 

I understand that you want people to do their homework and suggest good niches. But I also understand you'd like them to come back. Other than suggest Niches, bid on Niches, comment, and vote on suggestions, the only thing left to do is create content in my personal journal and wait until Narrative decides to launch in beta to see it goes live. I'm a patient, tenacious, persistent, stubborn, and strong-willed individual who is quick to learn a lesson. In other words, a minority. How many new users do you think are going to wait around seven days to suggest another niche when their first one is rejected and they go to Narrative jail because they didn't get a handle on the guidelines first? I took all the right steps and still ended up going to my room without dinner. Very few people are going to return after being told they can't do one of the only few things they can do for a full week. They'll likely forget about the platform and continue posting cat memes on Facebook.

My first impressions of Narrative have been positive. There is a lot that I like, but punishing new users for doing what you've asked them to do and not doing it perfectly is ridiculous. You have new users joining left and right and making niche suggestions. Poor suggestions. They should read your Specs first and do their homework. Clearly. But you're going to drive them away because they didn't? Maybe you should change the name of Narrative to Groucho.

Groucho Marx

By the way, I'm not going anywhere. But many people would not stick around. And some haven't.

Original Post

You can appeal the communities decision to the tribunal. If they over turn it, then you are not in suggestion jail.

I think you are an asset to our community and hope you stick around. 

It sucks getting your niche rejected. I hated it, and I can't even say it was because I was new.

I am pretty sure I abstained from voting on this one.  I was torn. I did lean towards voting in favor, because I actually am frustrated that only the person whom appeals a decision to the tribunal has a comment. Not the defending niche suggester. Also I get frustrated that the tribunal can comment, but that you cannot respond. It really is one way dialog.

I apologize for not being more active on this niche suggestion. 

Hey - @Garden Gnome Publications

I feel your pain.  We've been trying to get the team to change this for precisely the reasons you so eloquently laid out.  Apparently they plan to roll out a change to this in the next iteration, which should be very soon.  

I was convinced this would be a very easy change to make, but I've been told there's more to it than I can grasp without being intimate with their implementations.  All I can do is take their word for it.  Seems to me like changing the lockout period from 7 days to 2 would be trivial.  But you don't know what you don't know, right?

We're lucky you're sticking with things through this indignity, and so is Narrative.

I know that 24 hours in Twitmo seems like an eternity, which is one of the reasons why I've been joining my voice with others to call for an end to the 7-day suggestion suspension. I don't think there needs to be ANY suspension, since you take a reputation hit for a rejected niche now.

Although now I wonder... has anyone made an OFFICIAL suggestion via support ticket about removing the 7-day time-out from suggesting new niches? If you have or do now, please link to it here so we can all vote for it.

It's frustrating to see the number of suggestions has dwindled, too. Not as much to vote on to help people earn more rep while we wait for beta.

Emily Barnett posted:

I have also advocated on the community page that the & day niche suggestion jail...or time out...is not good. at the very least it is way too long.

I'm not upset about the rejection. The responses have been educational, and I get that there will be some disagreement, especially over the political goings on. The heart of the issue is how many new users will feel alienated when this happens to them? You said it best with "at the very least it is way too long." 

I wasn't going to appeal the community rejection of this Niche, but I have nothing to lose. Thanks @Emily Barnett for the suggestion. Nevertheless, I appealed the rejection of The Tribunal Niche suggestion. Even if it's overturned, the process could take up to six days, which means my suspension from suggesting new niches will still be a long one. But this should at least give the Narrative Company something to think about.

@Garden Gnome Publications.  Sorry you were befuddled  Our intention is not to make new members feel bad or be penalized while learning and contributing to the Narrative Alpha.   Thanks for your patience as we tweak things.  

I want you to know that the management team reads the community site regularly. Sometimes we don't respond right away because we are looking into the issue (and its good to hear what other members think as well).  And, sometimes the issue is linked to something else and so while on face value it seems like something simple - the decision may impact something else we are working through.  

In this case, we are revisiting this 7-day ban for suggesting a new Niche when your previous suggestion was rejected. We have been looking at this for a while - as it is related to updates we are doing to Reputation right now.   I do expect this change (ban going away) to occur in the next release this month!  Stay tuned.   

That happened to me, too, but I didn't think anything of it because I ran out of niche ideas anyway. I'd say if someone was CONSTANTLY suggesting niche ideas that got rejected, then it'd be reasonable to put that person in time-out with an explanation that they might want to put more thought into their suggestions. But once or twice -- yeah, maybe a niche devoted to the color purple wasn't that great of an idea to begin with, but it's nothing to suspend a person's ability to suggest niches for seven days over.

Heidi Hecht posted:

That happened to me, too, but I didn't think anything of it because I ran out of niche ideas anyway. I'd say if someone was CONSTANTLY suggesting niche ideas that got rejected, then it'd be reasonable to put that person in time-out with an explanation that they might want to put more thought into their suggestions. But once or twice -- yeah, maybe a niche devoted to the color purple wasn't that great of an idea to begin with, but it's nothing to suspend a person's ability to suggest niches for seven days over.

Did you get suspended for suggesting a colour?? There are colours approved on the platform. And actually they could be very popular if purchased. There will be plenty of photo challenges that include colours. Hence a Tag Photography, Challenges, Purple. 

Steemit already has this with a colour for each day of the week and thousands of photos in that colour get posted. 

Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:

Did you get suspended for suggesting a colour?? There are colours approved on the platform. And actually they could be very popular if purchased. There will be plenty of photo challenges that include colours. Hence a Tag Photography, Challenges, Purple. 

Steemit already has this with a colour for each day of the week and thousands of photos in that colour get posted. 

I don't really remember exactly what I suggested that got rejected. I was just tossing "purple" out there as an example of a niche that could get rejected.

Heidi Hecht posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:

I don't really remember exactly what I suggested that got rejected. I was just tossing "purple" out there as an example of a niche that could get rejected.

I think it is actually up for suggestion right now by @Christina Gleason. Ha! I bet she read this and is testing out the theory. It is a good niche. it should pass with flying colours.

Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:

I think it is actually up for suggestion right now by @Christina Gleason. Ha! I bet she read this and is testing out the theory. It is a good niche. it should pass with flying colours.

No, it's just an amazing coincidence! I know that other color-based niches have been suggested maybe by you, @Emily Barnett? And I didn't want any of the primary or secondary colors to get left out. But I had to try to carefully word it so that it didn't get confused with The Color Purple, the popular book turned into a movie.

Christina Gleason posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Heidi Hecht posted:

No, it's just an amazing coincidence! I know that other color-based niches have been suggested maybe by you, @Emily Barnett? And I didn't want any of the primary or secondary colors to get left out. But I had to try to carefully word it so that it didn't get confused with The Color Purple, the popular book turned into a movie.

cool coincidence. And I am glad you picked up on the secondaries. @Christina Gleason

Add Reply