Hello all,

my take is that comments should be considered a big part of the life of a niche. 

I’d love to see our platform implement them really well: this is where people interact publicly...

I’m a fan of the way Disqus has implemented its commenting system...  the discussion threads are clear, and it is easy to search through one’s commenting activity. 

I think it would be great to be able to promote really good comments to be visible at the top - a great tool for presenting newcomers to the discussion with something that gets them going...

Please share your thoughts on what you love and hate about other commenting systems out there, and potential ways in which Narrative could innovate.  

Great comment systems make a site sticky...

Original Post

Thanks for posting this. Comments are important! They are the foundation of making it engaging. 

I do like how this comment system allows you to quote someone. It makes it very easy to follow along.

I don't like how some platforms post hierarchy is based on reputation. Comments need to flow as they come in. 

I would like to think that we don't need to implement a reward system for comments, in either monetization or just reputation, however I am not sure if people will engage otherwise. As an example, we have a comment section on our voting and very few have used it.

RobbyCannard posted:

Fair point, I agree with you though, it would be good to have the option to provide some reasoning behind the vote. Maybe not mandatory but encouraged 

Hey @RobbyCannard there already is an option to leave your reason for why you voted down something. And it is very helpful to the person suggesting the niche. 

I think no votes should include a mandatory reason to why you are voting it down so that we can reduce trolling and/or profiteering.

RobbyCannard posted:

Thanks @Emily Barnett. Apologies for not spotting that, I'm new to all of this, it's a bit overwhelming but I'm enjoying being a small part of Narrative 

NP...happy to help. One thing to remember is that  voting down something should only be based on whether something is redundant. There is no personal preference.  Also Micro-niches or sub-category niches are allowed, even if the Niche owner of a broad topic doesn't like it.

When something is redundant legitimately, usually someone has left a comment saying so.

Hope that helps.

Emily Barnett posted:
RobbyCannard posted:

Thanks @Emily Barnett. Apologies for not spotting that, I'm new to all of this, it's a bit overwhelming but I'm enjoying being a small part of Narrative 

NP...happy to help. One thing to remember is that  voting down something should only be based on whether something is redundant. There is no personal preference.  Also Micro-niches or sub-category niches are allowed, even if the Niche owner of a broad topic doesn't like it.

When something is redundant legitimately, usually someone has left a comment saying so.

Hope that helps.

Indeed!

Sub-niches are an important aspect of the ecosystem of tags that are niches.  To embrace this, I suggested a sub-niche (US Politics) to one of my niches (Politics) as a way of embracing this reality.

If there is a sub-niche to one of your niches that you don't want to have stealing too much thunder from it - buy it if possible.

Add Reply