First of all I want to congratulate the Narrative team on the successful launch of Chaucher! 

Please pardon me if such a thread already exists - if so I couldn't find it.

I believe it would be beneficial to the developers and community to establish a discussion of features we want to see -- small or big, short-term or long-term. 
(if such a forum already exists, please point me toward it!) 

I have some features in mind already: 
1. A "Join the discussion (3)" button below the niche votes for each niche where (3) is the number of comments a niche has, something like this:chaucher
2. Emoji support (auto conversion of "" to "🙂" with on/off option (sorry but the Graemlins remind me of Art haha))
3. Short textbox for profiles.
4. Referral system that awards activity points OR a bonus % to activity points to further incentivise user participation (long-term)

Write your suggestions below or upvote those comments that you agree with! This way the team can easily see what the people using their platform actually want 😁 

Happy day to you! 

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

I agree. Number one especially. I think it is important for people to read comments. Some downvotes provide a context for their response...sometimes these are very easy fixes for the suggested niche to result in a upvote. Some people may not even be aware that they can comment on the ballot box or that their votes are transparent. 

But I am also aware how much work the team must be under right now...little tweeks may need to come much later. 

Emily Barnett posted:

But I am also aware how much work the team must be under right now...little tweeks may need to come much later. 

This is very true! However, being an amateur website creator myself I sometimes find it relaxing to push out little features like #1 for instance, when I find myself working on a big and tedious feature. 

Anyway, this thread is only meant to be a reference/inspiration for the devs if they do have time for it further down the line.

Appreciate your comment! 

Hi @Andreas Hauser,

nice suggestions!

I am definitely for number one! It would be good to see straight away if there are any comments or not . As you mentioned @Emily Barnett, it is a little unclear at first sight that you can click on the Niche names to get further info. 

I agree with number three as well. It would be nice to see clearly who suggested a Niche especially if we aim for transparency. 

Also I was thinking that perhaps it would be good to have a possibility to modify a Niche description  as a reaction to a comment or comments from voters. For example if a niche is voted down because its description was not clear or something in it just does not sit well with voters, they can always discuss this issue with niche creator who can consequently alter the description. Just an idea

I think a little pop-up for clicking on the downvote to select the reason for rejection would simplify approval process—and educate participants on what they are actually supposed to be doing. Options for rejection are:

• redundant 
  • violates terms of service

Any others? 
(Notice, "I don't understand how someone would use this." and "I don't like this subject." were not options.)

Fantastic suggestions so far - that would reap immediate benefits for the process.

Forgive me if this is already there and I'm just no seeing it: could we have the following centralised metrics:

- a tally somewhere of how many Validated Niches there are

- a tally of how many Niches under Evaluation there are

- the number of members signed up for the Alpha

- Niches Proposed per Member figure, that tells us exactly how well we are doing in terms of member participation in the process

I feel like these are basic metrics that will allow us to understand whether the niche engine is starved for anything, or whether it is firing on all cylinders.  How many of the members are suggesting niches.  

This is the first real moment of life of the project, and if we are flying blind as to how well we are doing getting the community to participate, it will be impossible for us to adjust our communication and our decisions to boost participation.

David Dreezer posted:
Malkazoid posted:

This one is already done for you. Click Members on the top navigation.  The number is right there. At this moment it says 177.  

Awesome, thanks!

Any chance this variable could be posted to a central place alongside the other metrics?  Having them centralised would be key to understanding where we are at, at a glance.

Bryan posted:

I think a little pop-up for clicking on the downvote to select the reason for rejection would simplify approval process—and educate participants on what they are actually supposed to be doing. Options for rejection are:

• redundant 
  • violates terms of service

Any others? 

Definitely also a good idea! 
Here are some more or less obvious ones perhaps: 

• Illegal
  • Explicitly sexual
  • Spam (is it even possible to spam niche suggestions..?)
  • Hateful (Nazi or KKK related, etc)

Remember that as T

Malkazoid posted:
David Dreezer posted:
Malkazoid posted:

This one is already done for you. Click Members on the top navigation.  The number is right there. At this moment it says 177.  

Awesome, thanks!

Any chance this variable could be posted to a central place alongside the other metrics?  Having them centralised would be key to understanding where we are at, at a glance.

Probably maybe?  I'm not a developer and I don't want to put something out there that I know nothing about.  That's how you end up with upset developers letting the air out of your tires.

I do know that, as Ted has put on the front page of the Alpha

This Alpha is in no way intended to represent the "final product". The Beta version of Narrative will most likely look and feel much different. The goal is simply to facilitate niche ownership in advance of the Beta.

and what it looks like today will probably be really different when it gets to beta.  We all know that the UI is less like the wonderful website that we all love.

By all means keep the Suggestion Box full just as you are.  I promise you that every bit of it gets read and it MATTERS deeply to all of us here.

Hi again, 

I just thought of other features that might be interesting to see. 

1) for a niche a ratio of founders (or in a later period members) who voted to all founders (or members - later) who registered in alpha so far. I suppose it would be nice to see it in the summary section of each niche, but it is just an idea. So each member would see how many other members voted for his niche compared to total number of people registered in.

2) another ratio: number of founders (or members) who signed in chaucer to all founders that narrative has in total. I know that on narrative community page there is a number of members that narrative has so far and then in chaucer there is displayed a number of founders who registered but it would be nice to have all the data in one place.

Also I saw that the number of founders in chaucer who registered was still growing yesterday. So is this now the final number of founders that narrative has or are here still some foundes who have not registered yet?

I guess I could imagine those features being  presented e.g. in chaucer as a subsection of  "home" being called statistics... just a suggestion.

That is all

Grateful to narrative team for all your work. I guess this week is a tough one so good luck and thank you !

Add Reply