What to do about niches that might be filled with junk content?

I was just on the Reporting page in HQ and noticed that three of the Top 10 niches are Nike (98 posts), Air Jordan (75 posts), and Audi (49 posts). It's hard for me to imagine that somebody might have that much to say about those brands unless they're being paid by those companies to post a lot of marketing material or just trying to boost their affiliate sales. Should something be done about niches that might be filled with a lot of junk and/or marketing content so that Narrative doesn't get a reputation for attracting a lot of spam?

Original Post

I am speculating just like the rest. But it seems to me it isn't really traffic, but rather activity points on a pro rata basis that determine the rewards that niches and content make. So under my speculative theory, I think that it will only do well if people are liking the content.

I also feel like the same vote up / vote down system will be employed for content. In this way people whom have a credible reputation on the platform will have a higher voting capacity in the overall score of the content. And those that conduct themselves less than reputable, or are new on the platform, have less counted points.

My guess is that in theory you could vote for everything, every day. But most people will not. But this also would count towards your activity, because the more time you spend on the platform, consuming content and voting the more you are engaging with your activity.

So i don't see it as much of a problem. I think the community will vote if they like it or not.

Anyways, that is (again really emphasizing) only my theory. Time will tell.

AussieNinja posted:

Are the moderators allowed to reject any content that seems spammy or not of a certain level of quality?  Or is a moderator's job purely to check that the content fits within their niche?

That is an excellent question. I would really like an answer to it, because I know I wouldn't spammy content in my niches.

AussieNinja posted:

Are the moderators allowed to reject any content that seems spammy or not of a certain level of quality?  Or is a moderator's job purely to check that the content fits within their niche?

That's a good question.

There have been many discussions around this topic, but no real resolution yet.

I've always felt that the niche should start with a set of rules and standards that the owner posts, and that these can potentially be democratically modified, perhaps by popular demand creating the option for a referendum.

Those standards should guide the decisions of the mods...  

Malkazoid posted:
AussieNinja posted:

That's a good question.

I've always felt that the niche should start with a set of rules and standards that the owner posts, and that these can potentially be democratically modified, perhaps by popular demand creating the option for a referendum.

It would be nice if niche owners could create and publish such rules and standards before the beta launch. I don't need to worry too much about the rules for Ask Narrative, because it is what it is, but Actually Autistic is DEFINITELY going to have rules. I was able to write the most important one into the description, at least. (Only people who are actually autistic may publish in the niche, though obviously I can't restrict who comments.)

Malkazoid posted:
AussieNinja posted:

That's a good question.

I had the impression that it was  stated that moderators are only to make sure the content is appropriate to the niche, marked age appropriate and to perhaps turn of comments when things get too heated (that last one is my conjecture). And that all content related to the niche topic, despite quality standards, are not factored into whether it gets tagged to a niche. I was under the impression, (sadly), that this is what @Ted ultimately stated despite our huge ramble on. Please correct me if I am wrong Ted or @Malkazoid, but I thought that it was also inferred that it was up to the community to vote down the quality they don't care for.

We are owners, not editors. And moderators are facilitators, not curators was my take away from the conversations.

Emily Barnett posted:
Malkazoid posted:
AussieNinja posted:

That's a good question.

I had the impression that it was  stated that moderators are only to make sure the content is appropriate to the niche, marked age appropriate and to perhaps turn of comments when things get too heated (that last one is my conjecture). And that all content related to the niche topic, despite quality standards, are not factored into whether it gets tagged to a niche. I was under the impression, (sadly), that this is what @Ted ultimately stated despite our huge ramble on. Please correct me if I am wrong Ted or @Malkazoid, but I thought that it was also inferred that it was up to the community to vote down the quality they don't care for.

We are owners, not editors. And moderators are facilitators, not curators was my take away from the conversations.

I think you remember correctly - that was certainly the state of things at some stage along the way.

But other posts from the team did refer to niches being able to have their own standards, and that moderators did have the ability to curate.  I'd have to dig to find the exact posts, and who they came from.

Malkazoid posted:
Emily Barnett posted:
Malkazoid posted:
AussieNinja posted:

That's a good question.

I think you remember correctly - that was certainly the state of things at some stage along the way.

But other posts from the team did refer to niches being able to have their own standards, and that moderators did have the ability to curate.  I'd have to dig to find the exact posts, and who they came from.

From the spec pages:

"The role of the moderator is to curate content, moderate comments, and maintain a high standard of behavior in the niche. Moderators may not edit or delete content. They may, however, approve or reject any content posted to the niche, bury comments, and even ban specific users from participating in the niche (either temporarily or permanently)."

"A niche owner may set a "Lead Moderator", if there are multiple moderators. The role of Lead Moderator is to set the moderation rules for the niche."

I appreciate this last bit as it gives us owners some agency as to how our Niches operate. Actually, since we can be moderators of our own Niches, it stands to reason that we can appoint ourselves "Lead Moderator" and set the rules of the Niche. Works for me 

Gord posted:

From the spec pages:

"The role of the moderator is to curate content, moderate comments, and maintain a high standard of behavior in the niche. Moderators may not edit or delete content. They may, however, approve or reject any content posted to the niche, bury comments, and even ban specific users from participating in the niche (either temporarily or permanently)."

"A niche owner may set a "Lead Moderator", if there are multiple moderators. The role of Lead Moderator is to set the moderation rules for the niche."

I appreciate this last bit as it gives us owners some agency as to how our Niches operate. Actually, since we can be moderators of our own Niches, it stands to reason that we can appoint ourselves "Lead Moderator" and set the rules of the Niche. Works for me 

That's how I intend to run things. We don't get the mod 6% on top of our owner 10%, but I want to be able to handle moderation issues myself if problems crop up, and I want to be the one who enforces the standards. Plus, I work at home, while my other mods may not. I'll be more available than most people to take care of problems quickly.

Add Reply